Sweet and Salty Valentine's Treat: Chocolate and Caramel Crackers
I can’t make this recipe very often in my house, because when I do, a fight breaks out between my two kids. They hover in the kitchen waiting for the crackers to set in the fridge. Then they monitor how much the other one eats, making sure they are each given their “fair share”. I guess I should consider this a compliment and ignore the yelling and screaming and finger pointing!
This is the perfect recipe to show someone how much you love them on Valentine’s Day (or any old day!). Break up the crackers and put them in a small mason jar. Then, attach a small hand written recipe card to the top, this makes a lovely gift!
If you decide to make this recipe, please send some pictures or write a note to us. We’d love to hear your thoughts and if your kids love these as much as mine do!
CHOCOLATE AND CARAMEL CRACKERS
1 box of Onesto Sea Salt Crackers
4 TBSP regular or vegan butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 pinch kosher salt
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark or milk chocolate chips
OPTIONAL: 2-3 TBSP chopped nuts, dried fruit, coconut flakes or chopped candies…
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Lay the crackers down on the parchment paper side by side, sort of like putting a puzzle together. Don’t worry if there is space between some. It’s also okay to lay some smaller crackers on top of larger ones. This doesn’t have to be perfect!
4. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter, sugar, sea salt just until the mixture is melted and starts to bubble. You aren’t making “real” caramel here, so you don’t have to worry about heating it to a certain temperature.
5. Pour the caramel mixture over the crackers. Don’t worry about making sure that every cracker has caramel, the mixture will spread when in the oven.
6. Place crackers in the oven for 5 minutes.
7. While the crackers are in the oven, melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments. Stir after each time.
8. Take the crackers out of the oven, and let rest for exactly 1 minute!
9. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the crackers and spread with a knife.
10. Top with chopped nuts, dried fruit, chopped candies, coconut flakes…use your imagination
11. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (best if left overnight) so the chocolate and caramel can harden.